Sunday, July 5, 2009

An Advertising Message? Here?

Yes. Sort of.

One of the best things I did for myself this year was to sign up to audit a course at Union Theological Seminary, team-taught by the seminary's president Serene Jones, ethics professor Gary Dorrien, and Princeton professor Cornel West, on "Christianity and the U.S. Crisis." President Jones was one of my favorite professors at Yale Divinity School, when I studied there a few years ago, so it's no surprise that I jumped at the opportunity to hear her speak this past spring. So did a few hundred others, and since the course lectures were posted on iTunes University, even more people have heard these three eminent theologians speak.

Among all those listeners was PBS' Bill Moyers. Last Friday, he hosted a conversation with the three. For those of you who missed it, the entire program is here. The heart of the matter, as Dr. West put it succinctly, is that "You can't have a prosperity gospel when the prosperity is gone... And the market is no longer the model." So where do we go from here?

I can't recommend it highly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment