Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sustainable Coffee Pods, Yay!

It's my belief that coffee is proof of the existence of a God who loves us and wants us to be happy.

Which is why I've been eying those single-serve coffee makers since they came on the market. I work from home, and while I can easily make up a pot of coffee in the morning, by the time I get to the nth cup at the end of the day... well, it's no longer quite as tasty as it was at 8 a.m.

So every time I see a "Sale" ad for a Keurig machine or a Nespresso, or any one of the other variants on the market, I'm tempted (even though I have no available counter space). And every time, I'm stymied by the stupid plastic pods.

I do live in a single-stream we'll-take-anything recycling town, thankfully, but it's still hard to justify the purchase.

But today's New York Times has a piece by Stephanie Strom that tells me that the world is finally changing.

A Canadian company has just introduced the "EcoCup", a clear pod that is recyclable in most municipal systems (No. 5 plastic). And best of all, the company isn't keeping the innovation to itself. According to one company official:
The easy answer to whether we would share these cups with competitors is no, but the right answer is yes....The right thing to do is make the technology available to the industry.

The company will make tea pods available this year, and coffee pods next year.

Is it 2015 yet?

1 comment: