Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Do the Right Thing, Even for the Wrong Reason

What is that, some kind of April Fool's Day joke? Do the right thing, even if not for the right reason? Isn't that a violation of ends-don't-justify-means thinking? Maybe, but it's also smart.

I learned my first lesson in management when I was still a lowly employee: Do not nickel-and-dime your employees.

It's not worth it. It breeds distrust and resentment. And they're way better at nickel-and-diming you back than you will ever be.

The lengths to which employees can and will go to get back at you are stupidly impressive. I have known of cars driven for business with several thousand fewer miles on the odometer than on the reimbursement-expense forms. I have seen orders for stationery shoot through the roof in the weeks before an office shuts down. I have seen... Well, you get the picture, and I'm sure you have stories of your own to share.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not condoning this behavior. But I do understand it, which is an entirely different matter. Those stationery orders would never have been placed -- it wouldn't have occurred to the employees to place them -- if they were not already feeling sorely ill-used by their employer.

And nine times out of ten, what's the root of the sense of being ill-used? Lack of information / full-disclosure / honesty.

So do the right thing, and I won't press you about your reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment