Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Blogging and Word of Mouth: Same or Different?

Different, of course.

A few days ago, I wrote about new FTC rules that will require "full-disclosure blogging", which I think is an excellent idea, and about time, too. Essentially, effective 1 December, bloggers who receive freebies from manufacturers will have to disclose that relationship.

The backlash from many bloggers was swift. As Jennifer Vilaga reported for Fast Company, "the takeaway has been this: Bloggers Must Disclose Every Single Freebie Sent to Them From Companies -- Or Pay an $11,000 Fine. Scary." (Italics are Vilaga's; full article is here.)

Vilaga went on to note, "Pundits quickly bashed the FTC as an old-economy regulator trying to legislate new-media technology. Few considered that the government may actually try to protect consumers from false advertising or bloggers on the take."

She quotes one blogger, Amy Sherman, who writes the food blog, Cooking with Amy: "I'm more concerned that this will cause confusion among people and whether they can think they are free to say what they want. How is a blog different from word of mouth?"

Dear Amy:

If I tell a neighbor that I love my fill-in-the-blank-brand gas range -- and I do -- that's word of mouth. I did the research, and I paid for the range myself. I did not receive it free of charge from fill-in-the-blank-brand-company in exchange for a nice write-up. And my neighbor know that. When you (or any other blogger) write about various products, it's only fair that you be just as transparent. If you love a Brand X product, tell me whether you received it free from the manufacturer, or whether you paid for it yourself. If you didn't pay for it, are you really free to say what you want?

Thanks,
Rose-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment